Preparing our pupils for a multi-cultural world
It is now compulsory for all children in key stage 2 and above to receive regular Modern Foreign Languages lessons.
At Leeming and Londonderry Community School, we provide lessons to all children in Key Stage 2. Second language acquisition empowers children with the development of neural pathways that would otherwise remain dormant, and all linguistic input plays a critical role in this development.
Our chosen language is French. Our aim is to provide the children with access to the language structures of French, as well as a meta-cognitive appreciation of language; learning how to learn a language. This includes developing an overall sense of grammatical structures.
There are many key benefits of learning foreign languages for children at primary school. For instance:
- Understanding and appreciation of their own language(s)
- Knowledge about language in general
- Development of cognitive problem-solving skills involved in the decoding and acquisition of language
- Understanding of their place in the world as a global citizen
- Appreciation of social diversity and intercultural understanding
Lessons are delivered by once a week using the 'Language Angels' scheme which provides an excellent language teaching resource.
Curriculum and Subject Progression
Key Stage 2 Subject Progression Sheet - French
French - Scheme of Learning Leeming